Friday, May 7, 2010

Chicken & Dumplings contributed by Miriam


From Everyday food on PBS--I LOVE to watch this cooking show and I love the foods they cook.

INGREDIENTS;
About 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
About 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for cooking water
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
One 14 1/2-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
3 carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced 1/4 inch thick
½ cup frozen peas
  1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a 6-quart Dutch oven (or heavy pot) over medium heat; add chicken meat. Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove chicken from pot.
  2. Add butter to pot; when melted, add onion and chopped carrots and cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons flour in a bowl. Gradually whisk in milk, and whisk milk mixture into broth. Boil, whisking, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to Dutch oven.
  3. Prepare dumpling dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add butter; cut into dry mixture with fingers until mealy. Pour in milk; stir with a fork until dough comes together. Return chicken mixture to a simmer, and drop dough by tablespoons on surface of stew. Cover; cook for 15 minutes without lifting lid. (The dumplings will puff up.) Add frozen peas until they are heated through and serve soup.
DUMPLINGS;
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in bits
2/3 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
(I added some dill weed and it was good) Fresh dill would be great.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy...........I love chicken and dumplings. I remember Aunt Venice making them at our house when she babysat us one week. They were soooooooo good and such a great comfort food...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My most favorite food on this planet! Well without the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vera--you may like the dumplings that are not cornbread--just white, but I love the cornbread taste. Bev, EVEN I eat this with the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi, I have developed a chicken and dumpling recipe of my own over the years. I don't like chicken. I simmer celery, carrots, onions and garlic in chicken broth for awhile. I strain it. Then I add homemade noodles and dumplings. NO MEAT. so delicious. Lots of broth, noodles and dumplings. I don't have to pick out the meat.

    ReplyDelete